Friday, August 26, 2011

Madison County Fair





We went to the County Fair last weekend. There was supposed to be a rodeo at noon, but it was just some kids roping calves trying to qualify for a bigger rodeo in Nevada. I guess the big rodeo was the night before. It was a bit disappointing. Edmund and I had really been looking forward to it, better luck next year. We took Jonathan through the holding area and looked at all the chickens, roosters, pigeons, and rabbits. I saw the biggest rabbit I have ever seen in my life. It was at least as twice as big as the other rabbits. We saw the sheep and a couple of horses and a bunch of Holstein calves, and then we saw the big cows, and Jonathan went crazy. It is a toss up whether he shrieks, giggles, kicks, and gestures more for cows or cats.


The day before I went to CAL-Ranch and got Jonathan a cowboy hat. He was such a charming cowboy baby. An older gentleman came over and took his picture and wanted to know where we had gotten such a great hat.


While we were in the big barn area they were having the auction. We saw a couple of kids (9-10) who were selling their pigs. The girl did an accidental flip over her pig when it got spooked. It was pretty funny, she just got up and went after it with her little pig poking stick. The pig sold for over $600. I was impressed. The last animal we saw auctioned off was a big cow. It was the cutest cow I've ever seen. It was dark gray like a cat with a scrunched up pig nose. The little cowboy did a nice job showing it, and it sold for $2,200. I was very impressed. I wish Jonathan could have the chance to do something like that. It was really neat.


No comments:

Post a Comment