Sunday, October 5, 2014

Heart Surgery

To be totally honest, it wasn't really surgery. It was a procedure. I got to the hospital at 6:30 in the morning where I was instructed to put on the backless hospital gown and take a pregnancy test. I wanted to assure them that I was definitely not pregnant after having a baby just two months ago, but I did as I was told. A nurse came in and asked me a million questions and how much I weighed and how tall I was. Then a muscle man nurse came in and gave me an IV asked the same questions and how much I weighed and how tall I was. Then, the anesthesiologist came in and asked me how much I weighed and how tall I was. He also told me that I could keep breast feeding. Then a couple other nurses came in and asked me how tall I was and how much I weighed. (This is no exaggeration. I counted 5 times I was asked how tall I was and how much I weighed.) Then I was given Benadryl (I can't remember why) and Valium to make me groggy. Then I was wheeled away down the hall to the operating room which looked like an office with lots of computers. I didn't get a very good look around because I was staring at the ceiling.

Then, a different anesthesiologist said, "I'm Dr. Reed, and I'm giving you something in your IV to make you sleepy before we give you general anesthetic and stick the probe down your throat."

 I said, "OK." Then, everyone got funny. I was told to scoot on to the operating table which was very narrow. I felt this laugh start in my belly and start flowing up my throat. I tried to stop it, but I just couldn't. The nurses asked, "How are you feeling?" I wanted to say, "This stuff is making me dizzy," but I just laughed. Then, I tried to stop laughing because I was feeling like a crazy lady, but I couldn't. I guess I fell asleep laughing because the next thing I remember was being back in the room where I was prepped and they asked if I wanted anything. "Tea!"  I said. "Herbal tea." My throat was hurting. They gave me some tea in a spoon, and I fell asleep.

Then, I heard David in the hall. I tried so hard to wake up, but I don't think I did a good job because the next thing I remember is Edmund saying he'd put the boys down for naps and come get me. Next, I heard Edmund come in to get me. They sat my bed up and I tried to wake up. I actually did wake up this time. I drank my tea which tasted like the best thing I'd ever had in my life. Then I went home. Easy as pie! I looked at the puncture in my leg the next morning. Imagine a BIC pen being stabbed into your groin right where you bend. It hurt, but it was awesome to be home. My very sweet mom came and held a crying Caleb who wouldn't take a bottle all morning. It was great to nurse. Thank you, Thank you Mom and Edmund for taking care of all the boys and me too! I couldn't have done it without them. Recovery was pretty quick, but with a 10 lb weight restriction, I definitely needed help.











No comments:

Post a Comment