Thursday, March 6, 2014

The Scare


At our ultrasound last week they told us that there was an area of concern about baby boy, and they wanted to do another ultrasound this week. They said that the baby might have a thickened heart muscle. They scheduled me another appointment today with a different ultrasound tech. I didn't want to ask too many questions about the heart because I was at the post office when they called, and I didn't want to scare myself. I did do a little research on my own, and it still was pretty vague.

Today, I had the second ultrasound. Right away the ultrasound tech told Edmund and I that she had looked over the previous ultrasound, and she didn't see anything to be concerned about, but it was always good to take a second look. Baby was making it difficult for her. He had his legs up over his head and was resting transverse at the bottom of my uterus. She did manage to get a good picture of his heart from all the different angles, and she said that he looked healthy and we had nothing to worry about. I asked her what she was looking for specifically, and she said that the left (I think left) ventricle was too thick. She explained that when this happens it makes it difficult for the blood to move between the chambers. She also said that it is a marker for downs syndrome. She said there was nothing in the heart that made her think there was any issues. She also checked the umbilical cord. A three part cord (2 artery and 1 vein) is normal, but a two part chord is usually an indication of a heart defect. Our little guy had a three part cord. She also said he was measuring at 1 lb 2 oz and was shaping up to be a nice big baby (hopefully no bigger than my other two boys!) Thanks to all of you who have been keeping us in your prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment