Saturday, July 14, 2012

David William Leemhuis

David was born on June 22 at 7:00 am. He weighed 7 lbs. 9 oz. and was 20 1/2 inches long. He was just half a pound bigger than Jonathan and half an inch longer. This labor and delivery was much much easier. I will always choose seven hours over fifteen. I woke up in labor around midnight. I had been having some serious back pain for the previous two weeks, so lying on my back was not an option. I put a pillow on the floor and knelt with my head on the bed. By 4:00 am, I needed some Edmund love and support, so I woke him up. He got up and got our stuff together. (We weren't really ready because I was expecting David to be late rather than early. In fact, we had just moved Jonathan's new bed and dresser into the office the night before.) By 6:00, I told Edmund we had to go to the hospital because I was really really hurting, and I needed an epidural. I had Jonathan naturally, but I thought this was ten times worse, and I didn't want to be brave for a second time. When we got to the hospital, I was already at 8 cm, so they told me I probably only had an hour before the baby would come. Edmund told me I could do it, and I knew there wasn't time anyway.

When they walked me into the room, they gave me a bouncy ball because I refused to get in the bed and lay on my back. They were asking tons of questions. Then they got the IV ready to put in. I looked away, and held tight to Edmund. Then Edmund started leaning on the ball. I told him to stand up because I needed him to support me, and he slumped onto the floor with his head between his knees. Apparently when they put the IV in my arm, it squirted out some blood and Edmund passed out for a couple of seconds. The nurses ran around and got him some juice to drink, and he recovered.

I don't really remember too much after that. I remember feeling ready and getting back in the bed. I also remember it hurt a lot more than I remember it did with Jonathan. Neither boy broke my water, so I guess that means they are lucky! (Isn't there some old wives tale about being born with a caul?)

My recovery was much faster this time too, and David is a wonderfully easy baby. We are enjoying him immensely.  Jonathan is doing pretty well too. I think it is pretty typical two year old stuff. He throws lots of temper tantrums, but he also loves kissing David and having David hold his finger. I'm always in awe of how wonderful they both are. Jonathan is so sweet and loving to me. I try not to cry, but I do get over whelmed occasionally, and Jonathan just points at me with a very concerned look and says, "cry." I know he misses his mommy cuddles because they just don't happen as much as they used too, and I miss them too. I do feel a little bad for Jonathan sometimes because just like day and night his whole world was changed.
This is Jonathan in the hospital.

This is actually Jonathan. I thought it would be nice to compare the two side by side.
Little David in the hospital

Jonathan meeting the new baby. (He loved the hospital. It was pretty cool.)




Bubba David and Baby David!




No comments:

Post a Comment