Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Bath, Stonehenge, and Castlecomb

 We saw Stonehenge drive-by style. I guess you can't get close anymore anyway. When I came in high school, I was unimpressed by Stonehenge, and now it is even harder to get a good look at it even if you pay the 40 pounds it costs to get into the site. It was really cool just seeing it from the road. There it is in the middle of nowhere in a totally flat non-rocky area. Pretty amazing!


 They had incredible views coming into and out of Bath. The one little pull-out place we saw was mostly blocked by trees.
 Bath Abbey. Here is a list of all the Abbots and Rectors in Bath since 549. Everything is so old!



 Roman Baths. I kinda wish they could channel all that cool natural hot springs somewhere where people could enjoy them. These baths are actually still functioning, although no one uses them, obviously, look how disgusting that water is! It is pretty cool how it all works.


 We drove on the skinniest roads! I hated driving here. Actually, Edmund was the brave one who drove. I navigated which was plenty stressful enough.

 We parked the car at a little pull out and took a trail because I was determined to find a nice view.
 Here is Edmund climbing over a stile. He then disappears down a very steep hill. When I tried to get down to meet him, I fell, hard. I had a soft ball size bruise on my hip, and I was covered in dirt and grass stains. It was well worth it though. I think traipsing through random fields and woods is truly a favorite of mine.




 We took a nice hike in the hills around Castlecomb. It was such a cute quaint little village.


 Free range children.

 I loved how tiny these doors are.

 This is the church here. I loved seeing all these old churches. They are the most magnificent pieces of old architecture, and such a sign of the devotion of the people who lived back then.

 Old tombstones.
 Here is a knight from 1270. You can tell from his body position and the things he has in his hands the things about his life. I don't remember most of them, but the fact that his legs are crossed means that he went on two crusades. He is holding a scroll, and something else in his hands which indicates his profession.


 Lastly, we ate dinner in this little town called Lay-Cock. It was Hogsmede in the Harry Potter films. We had a nice time walking about and ate a very yummy dinner at a local place. Originally, I didn't want to get in the car again after we had found where we were staying, but Edmund persuaded me to visit this place, and I'm glad he did.


 This very cool garden was behind the restaurant.
 They had stocks in the restaurant courtyard.


We had a wonderful time in England. If there is a next time, I want to spend my days hiking, and I want my children with me! However, It was wonderful to spend so much time with the love of my life. I don't think I can ever spend too much time with Edmund! 
Thank you so much to Judi and Jonathan for watching our boys and making this possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment