Monday, October 10, 2016

England Days 1 and 2

The first two days we spent in England, I spent alone in London, and Edmund spent with Filip and another guy in Wales. These are my pictures. The first day I went on a bike tour around London. It was crazy. We rang our bells at people to get out of the way on the incredibly busy sidewalk, and we even biked across tower bridge beside huge double decker buses while a police man yelled at us to keep moving because we were holding up traffic. It was a good way to see London and get my bearings, but I wouldn't recommend it other than that. I discovered that took twice as long to get anywhere in London that I had originally thought, and it was so crowded. Everywhere was crowded, and not super friendly. I didn't mind the not friendly part too much because I didn't really want to talk to anyone. I did stop a couple random people for directions, and they were very nice. I went to a Hen Do (Bachlorette Party) at a bowling alley, but escaped before the karaoke. I loved meeting all the wonderful ladies there. Talia was so sweet to invite me, and I really felt at home talking to everyone. It was nice to meet some people before the wedding too. Then, I went to Macbeth at the Globe. I was completely exhausted, and I had to practically run there. I skipped dinner. I had always wanted to go to the Globe, and it was a fabulous experience. I did sit right behind a pole. Every single monologue was delivered behind that pole. I loved the actors running in and out. It was fun to see all the people crammed in on the floor, and imagine what it would be like on a hot day or when it was all dirt floors during Shakespear's time. 

I got the last train back to Twickenham and made it to my hotel by midnight. I ate a piece of cake and went to bed. I missed Edmund terribly. It takes a special person to travel alone. I slept through my alarm and missed breakfast, but I did make it finally to the National Gallery. I spent my afternoon there, and met with Edmund when he got back. We went to Les Mes, and enjoyed it! 

 This is a picture of Lady Something or Other and her three sons. I felt like I could relate.
 This was in the room with Degas and Van Gough and Matisse, but I can't remember who painted it. I couldn't stop looking at it. I just love this painting.
 Trafalgar Square

 A monument we saw on the bike tour. If you laid it down, the top would be right at where the Great London Fire started.
 It was the anniversary of the Great Fire, so they had an artist build this wooden skyline of the London as it would have looked before the fire, and then they pushed it out into the Thames and burned it.

 Stage at MacBeth at the Globe.


 Entrance to Diagon Alley and The Leaky Cauldron. Although, it is actually an optometrists office.

 Tower Bridge
 Some gorgeous cathedral that was peaceful and quiet right in the middle of down town London. I walked through during my lunch during the bike tour.


 Thames in Twickenham
 The Vaults. Artists come through here and paint in this tunnel. We biked through it on the tour.

 London Eye.
 St. Paul's in the distance. The bike guide kept telling us to take pictures, so I felt obligated to take some random photos with no one in them.

 Thames in Twickenham above and below, The York House where Filip and Talia were married.
 All the houses there were attached (terraced). Everything was little. The houses, the yards, the cars, the streets.



 The York House Gardens were lovely!


No comments:

Post a Comment